Sunday, May 24, 2009

Freedom - the Heart of Change



Recently when I was facilitating a world cafe conversation on spirituality I felt something in my world start to shift.  I couldn't quite call out what or why this major change needed to occur, I just knew intuitively it had to.

"Now what?"  I asked myself. Here is where it got quite tricky.  While I didn't know what I was transitioning into, I knew that at the heart of this change was a need for more freedom.

Freedom is a hot topic with my clients.  Oftentimes it is the lack of freedom that creates a kind of unrest in employees.  While leaders want the job done well, a lack of trust can also cause managers to over manage employees. That takes away their freedom.

Inhibiting freedom isn't just about micromanaging.  It's also about
allowing people to set their own schedules, identify their own way to get work done, letting them go when they need a change, or helping them shift their role in the company.  In a recent work/life balance interactive I ran, I was amazed by all of the images of freedom that showed up in their desired states. Even a February 2009 Time magazine article described the younger generation of Millenials as demanding freedom.   Why shouldn't they have it? 


While you may not always know how change will shape your world, or what next adventure you or your team members will be stepping into, give yourself and those around you freedom of choice. From this place everyone feels the expansiveness to explore, examine and choose wisely their next move.  

You may be surprised at the ease in which the right change will occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment